Saturday, October 23, 2010

How to cope with fluorescent lights?

I've recently started back at the university (that's why I havn't been answering questions lately) and I notice that after a few hours under fluorescent lights I feel irritable, achy, and exhausted. I understand that this is a common problem. How do other folks cope? Some ideas -- a visor, tinted glasses, frequent breaks outdoors weather permitting, anything else? (Changing the lights isn't an option.) Thanks--How to cope with fluorescent lights?
In my office, I use a 300 W halogen up-light floor lamp, although I am careful about safety with this.
At the uni, fluorescents may not be a major problem, considering the length of most classes (typically less than 1.5 hours) and the possibility that some classes are in exterior rooms during daylight hours.
If fluoresents become a problem, you can make arrangements to be able to sit in the back and plug in a small desk lamp. I'd suggest a Tensor style lamp (a small lamp that uses an automotive type 1136 bulb and a transformer on a small pantograph -- search for images of "tensor desk lamp").
Seems like you ask the darnedest questions!
Smash the bloody things.
Or try every herb in turn on an experimental basis. Start with aloe vera (works for me for anything from heartburn to eczema) or St John's wort.

No comments:

Post a Comment